We have received numerous calls from our readers asking about what is this thing called a connected farmer.
We have lifted from Mezzanine Ware’s guideline a quick guide on what is a connected farmer.
Mezzanine Ware is a Vodacom entity focusing on developing mobile enabled solutions for enterprises that do business in Africa.
For more about a Connected Farmer read: The Connected Farmer: How Vodacom is Making Farming Cool and Meet a Connected Farmer: How Vodacom is Improving Livelihoods of Small-Scale Farmers
What is a Connected Farmer?
Connected Farmer is mobile phone based solution for agribusiness to interact and transact with smallholder farmers.
Connected Farmer utilise readily available, reliable, and scalable mobile technology to deliver a comprehensive, yet easy-to-use business management solution for all stakeholders in the agriculture ecosystem.
Mezzanine and Vodacom Developing Connected Farmer Solution
Mezzanine, together with Vodafone, developed a mobile enabled solution to mitigate the risk for agri-businesses doing business with Smallholder Farmers known as the Connected Farmer App.
How Connected Farmer Works?
- Connected Farmer is easy to use mobile phone-based enterprise solution for agribusinesses to interact and transact with smallholder farmers.
- The farmer registers as a supplier and enters a contract with the agri-industry. The agri-industry records crop production at the delivery point and communicate volume, quality, and price to the farmer via SMS.
- If needed, the farmer can now purchase goods from participating outlets in the agri value chain on loan account based on the available credit in his or her Connected Farmer account.
- Monthly payment of creditors is done via Connected Farmer through a mobile
To the Agribusiness:
- Lowers cost & risk involved in transacting with smallholder farmers
- Informed decision making with readily available field data
- Increased efficiency, productivity, and transparency in the Agriculture value chain (for all stakeholders in the ecosystem)
- Enhanced smallholder farmer trust in the Agribusiness system and reduced side selling Production increases improves economies of scale
To the Farmer:
- Access to quality information to specific groups of farmers based on farmer and farm profile Access to markets – closer and potential new channels
- Access to finance and build transactional history
- Improved income and resilience of farmers